NHS Warwickshire Stop Smoking in Pregnancy Service
At your first appointment with your Midwife you will be asked to do a simple breath test for carbon monoxide (CO). CO is a toxic gas released from tobacco smoke, exhaust fumes and faulty gas appliances. CO is extremely harmful to you and your baby:
- Each time you smoke your baby is deprived of the oxygen s/he needs to grow for about 20 minutes
- It deprives your muscles, brain and body tissues of oxygen
- It damages your placenta
- It restricts the oxygen supply to your baby
- It can lead to poor growth, premature birth and still birth
Why should you quit smoking?
The earlier you stop the better. But it’s never too late to quit!
- Your baby will feel the benefits straight away
- You will reduce the risk of your baby being born underweight and under-developed
You and your baby will be free from CO in less than 24 hours
- More money to spend on you and your baby
- More time to spend with your family
- Reduced stress and anxiety
- Better health in the future
We want you to have the best chance of a healthy and happy baby so we refer all smokers to the NHS Stop Smoking in Pregnancy Service for help to quit.
NHS Warwickshire Stop Smoking Service
We’re not here to tell you to stop. We’re here to help if you want to quit.
We’re here to give you honest, unbiased support to help you take steps towards a healthy, smoke-free pregnancy. We offer free Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) to all our clients, including patches and gum to help you quit, and are always on hand to answer any questions or concerns you might have.
Our specialist advisors are available to come to your home to chat through the options and work with you, one to one, to help you achieve your goal. We know everyone is different and our advisors have the knowledge and experience to help find the best way forward for you. And it doesn’t end with just one session. We will be there for you with regular appointments throughout your pregnancy to help, encourage and advise.
Normally, you can access our services by being referred by your midwife but if you want to call us on 07917 227004 and tell us you are pregnant and would like to quit smoking we will put you in touch with your local Stop Smoking in Pregnancy Advisor, and a home visit will be arranged.
You are up to 4 times more likely to stop smoking successfully with the NHS Stop Smoking Service by your side, than if you go it alone.