Frequently asked questions

Who can be referred?

  • Children and young people aged 0 to 18 years old, or 19 years old if in special education or in receipt of child benefit
  • Children in permanent residence within Warwickshire and/or have a Warwickshire G.P
  • Children whose parents/carers pay council tax to Warwickshire where the reason for referral relates to adaptations and equipment for the home environment
  • Children not resident in Warwickshire, but who attend a Warwickshire school and the reason for referral relates to problems accessing the school environment

Who can refer?

  • GPs
  • Consultants and community paediatricians
  • Healthcare professionals
  • Schools
  • Psychology services or other professional

How can I refer?

The Physiotherapy service accepts referrals by phone, fax, letter or email, from schools, G.P.s and other health or social care professionals.

Contact details can be found on the main Children's physiotherapy page.

Download a referral form

What sort of difficulties can you help with?

  • Gross Motor delay
  • Developmental delay
  • Weak core stability
  • Joint laxity and/ or hypermobility
  • Developmental coordination disorders
  • Chronic fatigue syndrome
  • Play skills
  • Assessment for specialist equipment
  • Lower limb footwear and orthotics

Useful information on common childhood difficulties

What can't you help with?

  • Upper limb splints
  • Provision of orthotics or footwear where there is no weakness or muscle involvement
  • Helmets
  • Car seats and harnesses
  • Difficulties only related to educational achievement
  • Issues primarily of an emotional or behavioural nature
  • Buggies/Wheelchairs - if you require assessment for a specialist buggy or wheelchair please contact Warwickshire Wheelchair services

What type of treatment and support might we get?

Our interventions include:

Providing information and advice for parents/carers and other service providers (health, social work, education)

  • Providing activity programmes and ways of supporting the child in different environments. This intervention may be carried out in partnership with parents/carers and others involved in the child's well-being following the physiotherapist’s recommendations
  • Involvement with educational and transition planning with regards to mobility
  • Direct therapy with child individually or in a group

Where do you assess and treat children?

  • Nurseries
  • Pre-schools
  • Schools
  • Home
  • Health Centres and Clinics

How long will my child have to wait to be seen?

While we aim to see every child in a timely manner, we do have a waiting list. If the referral meets our service criteria the case is either placed on our waiting list or allocated to a Physiotherapist depending on urgency, which is determined by level of risk.

My English is limited, can I have an interpreter?

An interpreter can be arranged for you. If you would like this service then please contact the Physiotherapy Department as soon as possible so this can be arranged to coincide with your appointment.

« Return to Physiotherapy service