Schools and educational professionals information
What we do
The School age team of specialist therapists see children in schools and health clinics. They support children who experience a range of difficulties affecting their understanding and use of spoken language and production of clear speech. Speech and language skills are essential to ensure that children gain most from their learning and enjoy life at school.
The therapists work closely with parents, teachers and with other professionals (for example specialist IDS teachers, educational psychologists).
Depending on the child’s needs, we may:
- provide specific advice on how to support the child’s communication
- recommend targets and ways to support these in school and at home
- provide training on specific strategies and activities for adults to carry out
- see children individually or in a group for a half termly block of therapy
For children in mainstream schools who are experiencing difficulties understanding and using spoken language we ask schools to follow the cross-agency Speech Language and Communication Needs Pathway for Schools (LINK: www.swft.nh.uk/SLCN.aspx) before making a referral.
There is a service to seven special schools in Warwickshire. Each school has a small team of therapists who work closely with teaching staff to support pupils with speech, language and social communication needs. Some pupils have eating and drinking (swallowing) difficulties or need alternative and augmentative communication support, such as electronic aids or Makaton signing.Traded services:
- schools can buy-in additional speech and language therapy time and training to support the communication needs of their learners
- the Time to talk team of speech and language therapists offer three levels of training for Early Years Professionals
Contact and location
Warwick: Cape Road Clinic, Cape Road, Warwick, CV34 4JP.
Tel: +44 (0)1926 400001
Rugby: Orchard Centre, Lower Hillmorton Road, Rugby, CV21 3SR.
Tel: +44 (0)1788 555107
Nuneaton: Speech & Language Therapy Centre, Clinic Drive, Nuneaton, CV11 5TT.
Tel: +44 (0)2476 378620